No one tells – or shows – the FIRST story better than FIRST teams! FIRST in Florida is raising the bar in showcasing FIRST statewide, and we’re inviting Florida teams – Jr. FLL, FLL, FTC & FRC – to be an active part of our statewide outreach efforts, gain some recognition for your teams and schools, and hone student marketing and presentation skills in the process. Here’s how it works:
1. Actively and professionally participate in a minimum of three outreach events organized in Florida by FIRST.
2. Document involvement in at least three additional outreach events in your community – science fairs, e-week, etc..
That’s it! Of course, we have some protocols for teams seeking Showcase status.
- GP conduct at all times – Everyone (adults & students) at an event must be dressed appropriately, business casual with team shirts, and long pants, unless otherwise advised; be attentive to guests, and chaperons must be attentive to kids – no texting, non-FIRST game playing (gaming, horseplay, etc)
- Students do the outreach – We’re trying to showcase how capable our students are and they need every opportunity to become capable of explaining what they do and how they do it. Outreach events are great practice!
- Understand your FIRST program – Team members should have an “elevator speech” explanation of FIRST that’s easy for kids to share (i.e. something like “FIRST teaches science and engineering through robot competitions.”), and introduce FIRST programs by their full name before using the acronyms.
- Be informed about the event at which you’re exhibiting – And be able to relate FIRST involvement to the business community involved in the event.
Showcase teams will be
- Recognized on the FIRST in Florida website at http://www.FL-FIRST.org
- Receive letters of appreciation from FIRST in Florida, and
- Receive the FIRST Blue Ribbon icon above to use on team websites and promotional materials.
Documentation of outreach will be accepted throughout the calendar year, January through December. If you want to be a FIRST Showcase Team, included in outreach opportunities in your area, email email@example.com with your team name, number and contact information, along with the area in which you’re available for outreach. All teams will always be advised of outreach opportunities, but teams that signify a special interest in outreach will be contacted for regional and media opportunities that may arise.